Find the answers you’re looking for.

Renters Insurance

What is Liability coverage?

Liability coverage can help cover you, including legal costs, if someone else has property damage or bodily injury and you're found legally liable. Many landlords require renters to have Liability coverage and Toggle provides a minimum of $100,000 in liability on all of our renters insurance policies.

Is my laptop, smartphone, or smartwatch insured?

Every Toggle policy comes with $1,000 of blanket coverage that can be applied to covered items after your deductible is met. If you’re interested in more coverage specifically for your tech, toggle on the Technology package and select the amount of coverage you want for things like your phone, laptop, smartwatch, and/or gaming system.

Is my stuff in a storage locker insured?

Toggle provides the same level of coverage for your stuff wherever it's located (coverage is worldwide) - whether that’s at your apartment, on your next adventure, or in your offsite storage unit.


Can I get coverage with Toggle if I currently have renters insurance with another company?

Of course! If you buy a Toggle policy, we’ll even help you “break-up” with your old insurance company and request any refund you may be owned on your behalf. Just log in to your Toggle account and provide the name of your old company as well as your prior policy number - we’ll take care of the rest.

What is Replacement Cost coverage?

Our optional Replacement Cost add on coverage will help pay to repair or replace damaged property without deducting for depreciation. So let's say you toggle up Technology coverage to cover your laptop and phone and they get stolen - we'll reimburse you what it would cost to buy new ones of like model and quality. You can toggle on Replacement Cost while quoting or at any time after purchase by logging in to your account at and clicking 'Edit policy'. Without Replacement Cost coverage, damage to your property will be reimbursed at Actual Cash Value, which takes into account the age and condition of your property before the loss or damage occurred. That means if your 10-year-old laptop gets stolen and you don’t have Replacement Cost coverage, your reimbursement amount will be based upon what it would cost to buy a similar 10-year-old laptop.

Does my TLC coverage apply if I leave my residence because of a power outage?

No. While each claim is unique, loss of power is generally not a covered loss under the policy nor is it considered damage to the dwelling.


Auto Insurance

Who should I include on my auto insurance policy?

In addition to yourself, you should include anyone in your household who is 15 years of age or older, has a valid and active drivers license, and has regular access to the car(s) on your policy (30 days/year or more), even if they are temporarily living away from home or are long-term guests.

How many drivers and vehicles can I include on my auto insurance policy?

8 is the magic number - you can include up to 8 drivers and 8 vehicles on your Toggle auto insurance policy.

What traffic citations and/or moving violations should I include on my auto insurance quote?

During the quoting process, plan to disclose all citations and violations that occurred in the past 3 years except parking tickets.

What does "driver exclusion" mean?

Excluded drivers are not covered when driving vehicles listed on your policy. If you exclude any drivers, you will be required to electronically sign a named driver exclusion form. Please make sure to read this form carefully to understand how your coverage will be affected. And refer to your Declarations Page for the driver information specific to your policy. If you are prompted to exclude a driver and you choose not to, unfortunately you will not be eligible for coverage with Toggle.

Do you use my prior insurance information?

Yes - we review your history of insurance coverage in order to determine whether you qualify for coverage, establish your premium, or find out whether you are eligible for certain discounts.

Do you offer policies to drivers who require Financial Responsibility Filings or SR-22s?

At this time, we are unfortunately not able to file SR-22s or any other kind of Financial Responsibility Filing for drivers in any state. If you or another driver on your policy requires one, we will direct you to an affiliated company within the Bristol West Insurance Group.


Home Insurance

What is a home inspection?

A home inspection is common practice in the insurance industry and is generally initiated by an insurance company in order to verify the condition of your home. A home inspection helps the insurance company better understand the unique features of your home in the event you suffer a loss and the home needs to be repaired. It also helps the insurance company understand the risks to which your home might be exposed.

What are the different types of home insurance deductibles?

For Toggle Home insurance policies, there are 3 common deductible options: flat deductible (for example, $2,500), percent deductible (percentage of a home’s dwelling coverage - for example, 1% deductible on a home with $150,000 dwelling coverage is $1,500. If your home’s dwelling coverage increases, the calculated amount of your deductible will also increase.), and split deductible (This is when there are different deductible options depending on the cause of loss. For example, a percent deductible that applies to wind and hail losses and a flat deductible that applies to all other causes of loss.). There are also different types of deductibles that are based on the cause of loss. An All Peril deductible applies to all causes of loss, unless a separate deductible for a certain cause of loss is selected. A Wind-Hail deductible specifically applies to covered damage or loss caused by wind or hail. Your chosen deductible will show on your Declarations and online in your Toggle account.

What kinds of home insurance discounts does Toggle offer?

With your Toggle Home insurance policy, you may be eligible for one or more of the following discounts: Claims Free Discount, Early Shopping Discount, Fire Protection Discount, Good Payer Discount, Home Buyer Discount, Loyalty Discount, Multi-Policy Discount, Preferred Payment Plan Discount, Theft Protection Discount, Water Protection Discount, and Welcome Discount. For more information on these discounts and whether you may be eligible, please contact our customer support team at (855) 864-1530 or chat with a live representative at

What should I consider in determining how much coverage I might want for my home?

Your home is probably the single largest investment you'll ever make. By insuring your home, you are helping to protect your investment. Estimating the cost to rebuild your home will help you decide the amount of insurance you’ll want to purchase. The primary factors that’ll determine the cost to rebuild your home include: Local construction costs, the square footage of your home (and the number of bathrooms and other rooms), the type of exterior wall construction – frame, masonry (brick or stone) or veneer, the type of roof, the number of floors (one to four stories, bi-level or split level), special features like attached garages, fireplaces, exterior trim and arched windows, and quality of materials and finishes throughout the home.

How are my personal belongings insured?

If the unexpected happens, losing your home contents could be distressing as well as financially devastating. Your Toggle Home insurance policy covers the loss of your personal belongings, subject to the policy limits and conditions.

There are two distinct ways to insure your personal possessions:

  1. Replacement Cost Coverage or RCV (This coverage pays you the dollar amount needed to replace personal property without any deduction for depreciation, but it is limited to a maximum dollar amount.)
  2. Actual Cash Value or ACV (This coverage pays you an amount equal to the replacement value of damaged property minus depreciation. Unless a homeowners policy specifies that property is covered for its replacement value, the coverage is for actual cash value.)
What kind of coverage can help me protect myself against liability claims?

Nothing is worse than the feeling you get when you are responsible for damage to someone else's property or for someone else's injuries. This coverage is part of your Toggle Home insurance policy. It can help you protect yourself and your family against property damage or bodily injury claims for which you are legally responsible. Liability insurance can provide coverage, for example, if someone slips and falls on your property or if your dog bites someone.


Pet Parent

What coverage does my renters insurance policy provide for my pet(s)?

Toggle renters insurance policies offer an optional add-on coverage called Pet Parent. It provides:

  • up to $100,000 for injury caused by your pets to another person (other than you) that takes place anywhere in the world (pets with a history of biting are excluded)
  • up to $500 in pet boarding costs if a covered loss or damage makes your residence temporarily unfit to live in
  • up to $500 for damage to your residence caused by your pet
  • up to $500 for the veterinary care if your pet is injured as a result of a covered loss (in select states)

To add this coverage, log into your Toggle account, select your renters insurance policy, and click 'Edit my policy'. (Note: In Georgia and New Jersey, coverage for injury caused by your pets to another person (other than you) is included in the renters insurance policy and therefore, not a part of the Pet Parent coverage. All other Pet Parent coverage shown above is applicable.)

What coverage does my auto insurance policy provide for my pet(s)?

Toggle auto insurance policies offer an optional add-on coverage called Pet Passenger. It pays for the cost of veterinary care, burial, disposal, injury, or death of household pets resulting from a covered loss, up to an aggregate maximum limit of $1,000. To add this coverage, log into your Toggle account, select your auto insurance policy, and click 'Edit my policy'.

Am I insured if my dog bites someone?

If you have a Toggle renters insurance policy with Pet Parent coverage and your dog does not have a history of bites, we’ll provide up to $100,000 of coverage for bodily injury if your dog, say, gets a little carried away when the new mailperson shows up.

(Note: In Georgia and New Jersey, coverage for injury caused by your pets to another person (other than you) is included in the renters insurance policy and therefore, not a part of the optional Pet Parent coverage. All other Pet Parent coverage is applicable.)

Do you exclude any dog breeds?

Nope! At Toggle, we love all breeds of dogs.

What coverage does my home insurance policy provide for my pet(s)?

Your Toggle Home insurance policy will pay for pet costs like veterinary or boarding expenses, after a covered loss. And for injury caused by your pets to a person other than you. Note: Pets with a history of biting may not be eligible for certain coverages.